Thursday, June 18, 2009

Back to Basics

I cooked lunch today, excited to make a dent on the food items we bought yesterday.:p I asked hubby what he wants to do with the chicken - would he like it with a soupy broth, or with a savory sauce? He opted for the sauce.
I started rifling through the cookbooks in the house, trying to decide which recipe to try. I ended up with three cookbooks open (plus a number of food websites open as well), when I suddenly realized that I should just go back to the basics. Why not go with something I'm comfortable cooking? Something that my own Mom cooks, and is sort of a comfort dish to me? That decision made, this is what I made (too bad I didn't take pictures):

Chicken with Oyster Sauce
5 chicken pieces (combination of drumsticks and thighs)
canola oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
10 pieces young corn
5 pechay leaves
1 medium carrot, sliced
oyster sauce (about 2 tablespoons)
your choice of seasoning (I used Maggi magic sarap)
1 cup water
*Saute onion and garlic in a little canola oil until the onion becomes transparent (make sure not to burn the garlic to avoid a bitter taste in the dish)
*Add the chicken pieces and brown them for a few seconds
*Add water and oyster sauce
*Cover and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked
*Add the carrots and young corn, let simmer for a few minutes
*Add the pechay stalks and leaves
*Sprinkle your choice of seasoning
Hubby loved this! And I felt like I was home again, with my parents and my sister - just like when we were all a few years younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment